Wednesday, April 15, 2009

But he LOVED me. I can prove it.

I threw out a bunch of old love letters and journals today.

I hope you’re not the nostalgic type. I did the right thing.

I read over some of them. There were more “I love you’s” than I remembered, and that’s a good thing, I guess. It made me feel a little warm, like all of that wasn’t for nothing, and it reminded that there were a lot of nice memories I had forgotten deliberately.

The letters and journals had a positive effect on my day. But I threw them out anyway. Why do we keep those tokens? I kept them to prove to myself that my relationships existed, and that the person who I was when I wrote those journals was once the person who I am.

But I have no need to hold on to those things. Because the aggregate of all my experiences equals who I am today. That being is worth more than the sum of its parts.

That being said, I still like writing. Even though a few hundred hours of it is sitting in a black garbage bag in my back lane. I guess I should have recycled, at least.

I called my new journal “Kimchi Breath” because I needed a name. Even though I do not live in Korea, the faint smell of kimchi still lingers in my life and in most of my experiences. That scent sticks around-- it might never disappear completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers